Monday, July 8, 2013

Top 5 books of 2013, so far....

Hello there!  Hope you're having a great day!
Since we're about halfway through the year, and I have already read 30 books (cray, I know), I thought I would list my top 5 books so far.  That way at the end of the year I can see if I still feel that way.  Genius, I know....LOL
Just to clarify, these are just books that I read this year.  They may have actually come out this year or a few years ago. 

5.  Out of My Mind   Sharon Draper

This is the story of a young girl who is limited by her physical disabilities and is written off as unable to learn, until she is given a speech device that proves that she is not mentally disabled at all.  This book is so heart wrenching because you are pulling for Melody to show everyone how intelligent she is and you want her to be heard.  Quite an eye opening book about people with disabilities.

4.  The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes   Diane Chamberlain

This book is about a woman who gets swept up into a crazy situation that leaves her raising a child that is not her own.  The woman changes her identity in an attempt to run from the truth of what happened to the child's mother and her part in it.

3.  Thirteen Reasons Why    Jay Asher

This book has a really interesting format, because it tells the story of why a young girl committed suicide, but it is told mostly in flashbacks, which are prompted by cassette tapes the girl made before she killed herself.  She sends the tapes to the people that she believes were involved in the situation leading up to her suicide, but the boy who is relating them to us doesn't understand his role.  It was interesting to see how unfold.

2.  The 5th Wave   Rick Yancey
https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1359853842l/16101128.jpg

This book was first "alien encounter" book.  I've never really been into the Sci-fi genre, but I heard such great things about this book, I decided to give it a go.  And I was not disappointed.  This book is about an alien invasion that takes out the majority of humanity.  We follow Cassie as she tries to survive and save her younger brother.  

And my number one book...

1.  Amy and Roger's Epic Detour     Morgan Matson
This book is amazing!  It is a great road trip story with a dash of past tragedy and romance.  Since it's a road trip, the character Roger creates a playlist of songs for each leg of the drive.  I thought this was so cool and then I checked Spotify just to see, and someone had actually recreated it.  It was so cool to read the book and listen to the music as I read along.

So that's it!  My top 5 so far this year.  What are you reading? And what have been your faves so far this year?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails